What Makes A Great Programmer Great?
June 05, 2021
Qualities Of A Great Programmer
- They know at least a couple of languages pretty well.
- Think before they code.
- Do version control properly and have expertise in Git, Mercurial
- Write code comments, review comments nicely and clearly.
- Their experience compounds, and they ensure that they note at least one new thing they learnt on a day.
- Their notes have tags, so that they are easily searchable and filterable.
- They can read an algorithm and implement it
- They read and review good and proven techniques and absorb them in their code.
- They code for limited hours most of the time and can maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- They are good at data structures and understand algorithms well, especially if they are system or backend engineers.
- Excellent technical design, problem-solving, debugging, and communication skills
- Significant experience in systems side of software development including one or more of the following: highly scalable infrastructure, distributed systems, database engines.
- Thorough understanding of computer architecture, memory models, and algorithms design.
- Proven ability to create componentized, well-architected software at a component level.
- Demonstrated experience in shipping high-quality products and services is a plus
- Previous experience with web services, storage, distributed systems and system-level programming, as well as leadership skills and experience is a plus.